PreSCHOOL Assistant Teacher
Reports To: Head Teacher
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Helps plan and participates in classroom, playground and field trip activities to foster or enhance all areas of the child's development, under the direction of the classroom teacher by performing the following duties.
Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Implements approved curriculum in classroom.*
- Performs the functions of this position with a strong understanding of the performance standards of the school.*
- Performs the functions to adhere to the performance standards of the school.*
- Implements learning experiences, with teacher guidance, that promote all developmental areas, including improving the readiness of children for school by developing their literacy, print, numeric awareness, and language, including English as a second language, if applicable.*
- Assists teacher to guide and facilitate activities of the children, including daily activities, field trips, selecting, and arranging equipment and materials in the classroom.*
- Assists and cooperates with staff, children, and classroom groups to ensure the smooth functioning of the academy.*
- Assists children in development of social and self-help skills and sound nutritional practices.*
- Guides children's acquisition of academic and social skills.*
- Attends staff training, staff meetings, parent meetings, and special events inside/outside the school as requested.*
- Assists in maintaining a safe and healthy classroom environment by ensuring that classroom equipment, furniture, materials, and supplies are properly maintained and stored.*
- Ensures the playground area is safe so that it can be used as an extension of the classroom.*
- Assists in conducting the daily health and environment checklist.*
- Distributes newsletters, flyers, and other information to families as instructed by the head teacher or executive director.*
- Assists the teacher in the timely completion of required reports.*
- Assists, as directed in transition activities.*
- Participates as needed in the development and implementation of the teacher's assistant professional development plan.*
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of word processing software and spreadsheet software.
Working towards a degree in early childhood development preferred. Have knowledge and experience in the philosophy and practices of child development programs, early childhood education, developmentally appropriate practice; equivalent combination of education and experience.
Must complete state required 10 hours of training annually
Knowledge, Skills, and Other Abilities:
- Knowledge and experience in the philosophy and practices of child development programs, early childhood education, developmentally appropriate practice
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Time management skills
- Oral and written communication skills
- Interpersonal relation skills
- Customer service skills
- Math aptitude
- Negotiation skills
- Organizational skills
- Reading skills
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, use hands, reach with hands and arms, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl, talk or hear, and taste or smell. The employee is occasionally required to sit and climb or balance. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 55 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and distance vision.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to bites, hits, and smacks from children.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud.